Difference Between Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot
To understand Spring Boot and Spring Cloud, we need to know microservices. it is used for the collection of many micro independent service units. It deploys solo and maintains the life cycle of services by a small team. Microservices is a service-oriented technology. Amazon and Netflix are the best examples of microservices. Spring Boot is an open-source Java-based framework, it is useful to create microservice. The main motive of spring boot is to reduce development and testing time. Spring Boot applications need less Spring configuration. Spring Cloud is used for centralizing configuration management and it has come up with great security and integrity of the Spring Boot application.
Head to Head Comparison between Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot (Infographics)
Below is the top 10 Comparison between Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot:
Key Differences between Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot
Spring Boot and Spring Cloud are part of the Spring framework. They both have different requirements of work for microservices.
Microservice needs both technologies to make it easy to developer and maintain application. Spring cloud used for cloud application. Spring boot used for product – ready application.
Spring Cloud is to collect the deployment configuration and manage itself. Whereas Spring boot make microservices to improve productivity.
Spring Cloud must use many dependency. Comparatively, Spring Boot Apply less Dependancy. Spring Boot is a lightweight framework.
Spring Cloud is Configuration server technology and communicate with many services and collect in one Application. Spring boot is a java based framework to work con auto-configuration in Web Application.
Spring cloud is part of Spring boot, where Spring boot is Stand Alone, App – Centric Application framework.
The main purpose of Spring Cloud maintains the traffic of the network. Another side Main purpose of Spring Boot is to reduce time and more productivity.
Comparison Table of Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot
The table below summarizes the comparisons between Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot:
Basis of Comparision Between Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot
Spring Cloud has an open-source library.
Spring Boot has an open-source library.
This is working for microservices to manage configuration.
This is work to create microservices.
1. Intelligent routing and service discovery: In creating microservices four services are important. Service discovery one of them. These services are dependent on each other.
2. Service-to-Service Call: To connect all dependent services has sequence, register to call the endpoint.
3. Load Balancing: It is proper distributed network traffic to the backend server.
4. Leadership Election: The application work with another application as a third-party system.
5. Global Lock: Two threads not access simultaneously the same resource at the same time.
6.Distributed Configuration and Distributed Messaging
1.Spring Applications: Create stand-alone Spring applications by calling a static run() method.
2.Web Application: We can create an HTTP server using embedded Tomcat, Jetty or Undertow. no need to deploy WAR files.
3.Externalized Configuration: Spring-boot also gives product-based applications. it works similarly in different environments also.
4. Security: It is secure inbuilt with basic authentication on all HTTP endpoints.
5. Application Events and Listeners: Spring Boot has to handle many tasks, application required events. Add listeners used to create factories file.
Spring Cloud mainly following 5 main Annotations:
1. @EnableConfigServer: This annotation converts the application into the server which is more application use to get their configuration.
2. @EnableEurekaServer: This annotation used for Eureka Discovery Services for other applications can use to locate service using it.
3. @EnableDiscoveryClient: Helping of this annotation application register in the service discovery, it discovers other services using it.
4. @EnableCircuitBreaker: Use the Circuit Breaker pattern to continue operating when related services fail and prevent cascading failure.
This Annotation mainly used for Hystrix Circuit Breaker.
5. @HystrixCommand(fallbackMethod=” fallbackMethodName”): it is used to mark the method for fall back to another method of they cannot success normally.
Spring boot following 5 main Annotations:
1. @SpringBootApplication: This annotation can find every spring boot application. It is made up of three annotations:
It allows to execute web application without deploying into any web server.
2. @EnableAutoConfiguration: Either you are Using spring boot version lower than 1.1 or @SpringBootApplication are not using then this annotation needed.
3. @ContextConfiguration: It is required for the JUnit test. spring-boot application needs unit testing to test service class in it. It loads the Spring boot context but not provided full spring boot treatment.
4. @SpringApplicationConfiguration: It has the same work @ContextConfiguration but provided full spring boot treatment.
It loads the bean as well as enable logging and loads properties from application.properties file
5. @ConditionalOnBoot: it defines several conditional annotations:
1. It is provided Cloud-service development.
2. It is Microservice-based architecture to configuration.
3. It provides Inter-service communication.
4.it is Based on the Spring Boot model.
1. It is developed and run standalone spring web applications rapidly.
2. It is by default configures Spring functionality when required. Its beans are initialized and wired automatically.
3. It does not require XML based configuration. Embed Tomcat, Jetty directly to avoid complexity deployment.
4. There is no necessary deploy WAR files.
Spring Cloud has to required numerous dependencies.
Spring boot is bounded. There are losing control of the application.
It is an increased deployment of binary size with many unused dependencies.
If we want to available many services in one application then the cloud-based application is an easy way. Spring Cloud works the same.
Spring boot work on product-based web application. it used for unit test Development and integration test time to reduce.
How it Works
1. First, you have to create a relational database and bound to your application.
2. Secondly should create an object in the class of data source based on that service.
3. There is Spring Cloud start working.
4. It removes all the developer’s need to access and configure service connectors.
1. First Spring Boot auto-configuration starts working.
2. It is automatically configured a Spring web application based on the dependencies.
2. These dependencies present on the classpath.
4. After that, It detects classes helping of classpath.
5.auto-configuration ensures that the creation and wires necessary beans for us.
Configuration, Service Discovery, Circuit Breakers, Routing and Messaging, API Gateway, Tracing, CI Pipeline, and Testing.
Spring Boot Starter, Spring Boot Autoconfiguration, Spring Boot Actuator, Spring Boot CLI, Spring Boot Initialize.
Product-ready application, spring web application.
Microservices are popular day by day to create an application. For complex and lengthy application, we need to make small services and combine to maintain the application. Spring boot creates a small microservices. Spring clouds are unified to manage their configuration. It is used to deploy their applications in Cloud environment.
This is a guide to Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot. Here we also discuss the Spring Cloud vs Spring Boot key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –
Read more: educba.com